Monday 4 March 2013

Graphical Portrait

Noma Bar
Bar's recognisable images are so simplistic in their form and yet they often speak the loudest when portraying political stories. His images often cause you to double take, with a secondary image concealed within the initial outline. From looking at Bar's work it has shown me how I can be simplistic in my graphical portrait, by using a limited colour palette and concentrating on a central image that relates the most to Beth. 


"Power to the Individual"



"Tea for Two"



"Negative Space - Spread"


Pep Carrio



"The Days Turned Over"

Throughout the duration of a year, Carrio created an image a day in a small diary using any materials he had to hand, and without any specific technique or purpose. He wanted to show the beauty of the passage of time. This is similar to our graphical portrait project as we are using the information surrounding us to create an observational image of our partner.  

Stefan Sagmeister


 Covers from Sagmeister's book "Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far"


AIGA Detroit Poster

I would say this is one of Sagmeister's most memorable pieces, when he and an assistant carved the dates and information into his skin to create an "authentic" poster for AIGA Detroit. It definitely classes as a graphical portrait, however I don't think I'll be using this technique in mine. 


I started off talking to Beth and getting to know her, making notes of everything that she said, as I thought it would be easier to sift through all the information rather than not have enough. 

                                                 

I wanted my portrait to be simple like Noma Bar's work, using a limited colour palette that linked to Beth. 

As an introduction into graphic design and the pathway stage I have found this project really useful. I have learnt new skills such as collaging and photoshop, and have tried to incorporate some of the artists characteristics into my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment